- The 4 Pillar Plan by Dr Rangan Chaterjee. I recommend this to all my patients. The 4 pillars represent food, movement, relaxation and sleep.
Mental health in adults
- The Overcoming Series for a whole range of common mental health problems and difficulties such as Anxiety, Depression, Obsessive Compulsive Disorder and Insomnia using a CBT approach
- Finding peace in a frantic world by Mark Williams & Danny Penman. This has an 8 week course that you can do using a CD and the book. I have completed it and cannot recommend it highly enough.
- Journeys with the Black Dog by Tessa Wigney. Living with the Black Dog can be lonely and terrifying. In here, people share their stories of living with depression. Intensely moving, this is a beautifully written book.
Mental health in children and teenagers
- Two book catalogues by Jessica Kingsley Publishers have a fantastic selection of books for children from pre-school to late teens aimed at supporting mental health and emotional wellbeing in children. One aimed more for under 11 years and one for older children, although there is some cross-over in both.
- Little Parachutes offers picture books for younger children to cope with worries, health issues and new experiences.
- Starving the Anger Gremlin for Children Aged 5-9 by Kate Collins-Donnelly
Older children / teenagers
- Can I Tell you about Anxiety?: A guide for friends, family and professionalsby Lucy Willetts and Polly Waite
- A Short Introduction to Helping Young People Manage Anxiety by Carol Fitzpatrick